Mathematics pervades all aspects of our lives as citizens, in our homes and in the workplace. A fundamental purpose of primary education is to ensure students acquire competence in mathematics. Students learn mathematics to interpret and communicate quantitative and logical ideas accurately and to recognise the importance of mathematics in our changing society.
Through explicitly teaching mathematics skills and processes our students will:
- Acquire mathematical skills and knowledge so they can deal confidently and completely with daily life.
- Develop competence, enjoyment and appreciation of mathematics.
- Acquire mathematical skills and knowledge which can be confidently applied in everyday life.
- Understand the dynamic role of mathematics in social and technological change.
- Use technology appropriately and effectively to support the learning of mathematics and in carrying out mathematical activities in context.
A BALANCED NUMERACY PROGRAM
At Coogee Primary School, the classroom teacher will deliver a balanced numeracy program providing students with opportunities to develop the specialised knowledge and language needed for conceptual understandings and application of mathematical concepts. Students will be presented with a range of representations of the same concept. Delivery of a new concept will be explicitly taught using the I Do, We Do, You Do model. Students will also be given the opportunity to individually show their understandings and explain their mathematical thinking through a variety of assessment tasks.